Friday, November 9, 2007

Urban Survival Guide

I'm going to make an admission here. Something, that quite ironically, I wouldn't reveal to the people I spend most of my time with... I shop at the Salvation Army. For those that don't know, the Salvation Army is a charity shop that sells 2nd hand apparel. Yes, used clothing!

At first, I was ashamed by it. But now I'm not. I'll tell you why not! Because I scored a J. Crew 100% cashmere short sleeved sweater for $3.99!

However, not all Salvation Army(s) are alike. I didn't shop in them for years and years because the ones by me in Brooklyn had truly gross clothes. The stuff that sits at the back of your closet for years and years, and then you feel charitable enough to give it away.

The Salvation Army in Chelsea (Manhattan) is not like these stores at all! People donate seriously good crap! The same day I got my awesome J. Crew find, I also found:

J. Crew cotton vest - $3.99
Express very warm turtleneck sweater - $8.99
Mossimo sweater - $2.99
Abercrombie & Fitch wool turtleneck sweater - $3.99

And this was only with 15 minutes of shopping. See, the store closes at 6:45pm and I finish work at 6:00pm, on the dot. It's not far-ish, but is across town, which is a bitch in NYC because crosstown means mulitple train transfers and a few minutes of brisk walking. The people at the store are ANAL about closing on time. I think I may take off work one of these days at 5:30 for a few more minutes of leisurely shopping time.

Being at that store really puts me in shock of how expensive and good quality clothes can be priced so cheaply. Obviously, since people donate them and it is a charity, they can't exactly start charging full price. I'm sure the store is also there to help out those in need. People who can't afford clothes, any kind of clothes, at all. I think it's great a store like this is around. And I'm not just saying that because I benefit from it greatly.

The idealist in me is happy that fellow New Yorkers are so kind-hearted as to donate really expensive clothing. The cynic in me, the one that usually takes over, says, 'how friggin' rich are these people that they could just give away 100% cashmere sweaters; sweaters that cost $100 in even the crappiest of stores.' I can't even afford J. Crew sales, let alone full-priced stuff. I try not to separate myself from the rest of New Yorkers, but there really is a vast difference. But more to dwell on in my future posts...

Salvation Army Thrift Store
208 8th Ave
New York, NY 10011
(212) 929-5214

No comments: